The October edition of the Birder’s Lounge ID Challenge has come to a close, and we have a winner! Tina Gilson was the first person to get the most number of correct answers (she scored 100%), and she also answered the bonus question correctly, for a total prize of $15 to the wildlife/nature/conservation charity of her choice. Tina has chosen the Warbler Woods Bird Sanctuary to receive this donation in her name. Way to go, Tina! There were two participants this time around, so if you think you don’t have a chance to win, go ahead and give it a try. Your chances may be better than you think.
And now, for the answers – and a Do-Gooder update:
I have an update for the Birder’s Lounge year-long Do Something! (Good) campaign – we have had another person tell us about some things she has done to help the planet. Ms. Do-Gooder wishes to remain anonymous, but I can share her Actions with you:
- HELPED RAISE AWARENESS that everything we do affects the well-being of other creatures
- ENGAGED CHILDREN in outdoor activities that helped instill a sense of wonder and excitement about flora and fauna
- VISITED a state park, national park, or wildlife refuge
- IDENTIFIED & LEARNED about one bird that I was unfamiliar with
- DONATED TIME OR MONEY to an organization that is dedicated to protecting and preserving habitats and wildlife
…and this too:
Had a great time in September with Dr. Marcy Brown Marsden and the Irving bioblitz. A bunch of us took out kids from different rec centers in Irving to try to count as many species of everything (reptiles, birds, wildflowers, trees, mammals, etc.) as we could. We all had a blast!
Thanks to this Do-Gooder, the pot is up another $5 (from Birder’s Lounge – doesn’t cost a thing to brag on yourself and inspire others). We have now counted:
Thank you to everyone who has participated in the monthly ID Challenge contests, and the year-long Do Something! (Good) campaign. You all inspire me.
The November edition of the ID Challenge contest will be posted in a few days!